Mobile View
Main Search Forums Advanced Search Disclaimer
Citedby 11 docs - [View All]
Sulochana Kandi vs Diptirekha Kandi And Anr. on 17 March, 2004
Shekhar Harchand Indra vs Ms.Sangeeta Shekhar Indra on 14 March, 2012
Mrs. Nandita Menon vs P. Anand Menon on 17 July, 1990
Against The Order/Judgment In Op ... vs By Adv. Sri.Jose J.Mathaikal on 25 February, 2013
Bijan Kumar Bose vs Gouri Bose on 21 August, 1974

User Queries
[Complete Act]
Central Government Act
Section 31 in The Special Marriage Act, 1954
31. Court to which petition should be made.- 3[
(1) Every petition under Chapter V or Chapter VI shall be presented to the district court within the local limits of whose original civil jurisdiction-
(i) the marriage was solemnized; or
(ii) the respondent, at the time of the presentation of the petition resides; or
(iii) the parties to the marriage last resided together; or
(iv) the petitioner is residing at the time of the presentation of the petition, in a case where the respondent is, at that time,
1. Subs. by Act 68 of 1976, s. 30, for certain words (w. e. f. 27- 5- 1976 ).
2. Certain words omitted by s. 31, ibid.
3. Subs. by s. 32, ibid., for sub- section (1).
residing outside the territories to which this Act extends, or has not been heard of as being alive for a period of seven years by those who would naturally have heard of him if he were alive.]
(2) Without prejudice to any jurisdiction exercisable by the court under sub- section (1), the district court may, by virtue of this subsection, entertain a petition by a wife domiciled in the territories to which this Act extends for nullity of marriage or for divorce if she is resident in the said territories and has been ordinarily resident therein for a period of three years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition and the husband is not resident in the said territories.